Wednesday, September 18, 2013

storytelling

As my dad always loves to say, it's a shame our generation has been taken over by the idiotic and annoying rap songs we hear today. Of course, anyone under the age of 35 completely disagrees. Fine, once I showed him the song, "walk it out" by UNK, I can understand why he might think of rap as (in his own words with an imaginary beat), "And you pick your nose and you don't know why...".   Obviously it's debatable that certain songs can be seen as annoying, but that doesn't take away from the fact that mostly every song has a story behind it. Even a song as repetitive as "Walk it Out" has the story of these rappers coming from nothing and making it big. In his second verse of Walk it Out remix, UNK says, "I walked it out the bank, with a lot of zeros. That's what my teachers called me, predictions like they Cleo. So I do my dance for 'em, then make 'bout forty thousand. I do that in a month, I'm on resorts and islands.." He's saying it's ironic how his teachers use to call him a zero, yet zeros are the only thing he's counting on his paychecks. He's just shoving it into their face when he brings up a teacher's salary of forty thousand by making it clear he makes that in a month. In my opinion, that's probably the worst example of a story within a rap song. That just proves my point that almost any rap song can have a story behind it. One of my favorite songs that has an incredible story to compliment it would probably be, "Live your life," by T.I. and Rihanna. Even though half that song is about being famous and all the great things that come with it, the song also emphasizes the importance of "stop lookin as what you ain't got and start being thankful for what you do got." T.I. also highlights the significance of ignoring all the haters because in the end, when you come back at them, it only fuels them to keep coming back at you. Money also being an important value of his life, he expresses how the time you spend retaliating is money you could be getting.






11 comments:

  1. I like how your blog is short and to the point. I also like the videos that came with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you started out with saying that your dad believes that a lot of songs are idiotic and annoying because my parents have the same mindset. I like how you incorporated a real life occurrence and real quotes to start out your blog. It is true that a lot of these songs do perform "storytelling," and the blog was well done. Overall it was a good blog that used good examples to emphasize its point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the songs to back up your point that they really do have a story behind them. Also it was a very interesting but easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example to describe that even repetitive lyrics can deliver a point a rapper is trying to make. You're right that a lot of songs are actually artists telling stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tought you did a great job of including you dad because most of us can relate to your situation with how our parents feel about rap music. I also liked the songs you picked because they both tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your choice in using "Walk it out" as your song. Also, my mom says the same thing about rap music!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job on pointing out how your dad feels about rap, i think most of our parents feel the same way. Also good choice in songs to include at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome that you used your dad as an example because he had probably only heard the really superficial and meaningless rap songs like "Walk It Out" instead of the rap songs that actually hold a real meaning or story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on your blog, I liked how you used the example of your dads experience with rap. Its true that all songs despite having little substance, tend to tell some kind of story even if it is repetitive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way that you brought your dad and a personal example into the blog post. It is true that most rap songs have some kind of message behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed the fact it was straight and to the point. The personal example was easy to relate to since I imagine most parents to feel the same way. It also contained great use of lyrics as evidence for storytelling.

    ReplyDelete