Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Backpack Rap: Writing for the Subculture

A backpack rapper is someone who raps about their real, somewhat average life. They aren't known as "mainstream" and don't talk about all their money/cars/women/success. According to a friend that I asked, "A more mainstream rapper may write an entire track bragging about how much bling or swagg they have and how no one could ever measure up to them. But a backpack rapper may choose to focus on the injustice that he experiences or how his undesirable financial position makes daily life challenging."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwnZI01YdXE

A great example is Chance The Rapper, who is self-produced and constantly refers to events in his life, primarily his ten-day suspension in high school. I chose this song because he's sending a message that love is better than anything else, even the drugs and fame that comes along with being a famous rapper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWxf7tf3Qo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5e8HqVN0o

Some of the more mainstream rappers have a problem with backpack rappers. David Banner spoke out against it, claiming that it's a problem because "everyone thinks they can be a rapper now." However, most of the people who listen to backpack rap today like it more because it's definitely more relatable to listen to a song about hanging out in a fast food restaurant than being VIP at a club and getting to do whatever you want all the time.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. Cool to know the distinction between backpack and mainstream rappers. Nice examples too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the definition aspect of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know what a backpack rapper was or who Chance the Rapper was so this was all new to me and I learned something new! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew exactly what backpack rap was before, but now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never even heard of a backpack rapper before so this was definitely something new to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love back pack rappers, so glad you wrote about them and gave these examples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading about this because I had no idea what a backpack rapper was. You did a great job explaining the differences between mainstream and backpack rappers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very interesting blog. I had no idea what backpack rappers were before this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that there were different names to call different rappers. I had never heard the term backpack rapper before. Good blog and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you mentioned Chance tha Rapper, who has one of my favorite mixtapes of the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its important to be genuine in your rap, yet you still have to consider what sells.

    ReplyDelete